Random Posts

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Autographs

I don't collect autographs, but considering all the great players I've met in the past I wish I had. There are only two. I met former World Champion Dr. Max Euwe when he was in Cleveland, Ohio back in 1957 (I think that was the year...can't remember!)

And finally I have a whole set of post cards signed by Samuel Reshevsky from when I played a postal game with him.

I think of all the ones I could have had: Nicholas Rossolimo, Anthony Miles, Bobby Fischer, William Lombardy, Arthur Bisguier, Pal Benko, Edmar Mednis, Leonid Shamkovich, Walter Browne, Andrew Soltis, Vasily Smyslov and the list goes on and on...should have gotten them when I had the chance! 

After the last round of the 1975 US Championship they sold the sets and the paper boards that were used for the games.  The boards were autographed by the two players that used the set.  I was following the Reshevsky-Benko game and really wish I'd have bought it. I don't remember the cost, but it was nominal...the price of the Drueke Player's Choice Set. They were really great sets and today sell on e-bay for $100-150.  I had one and one day when I got home from a tournament I discovered I'd left several pieces at the event.


The best set I ever owned was the Windsor Castle set. It was solid plastic, and heavy and was used just about everywhere in the US in the 1950's and 1960's. Fischer is playing with one here:

No comments:

Post a Comment