Random Posts

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ignorance

This Blog is about chess and I really want to keep it that way. If I want to comment about other things I probably should start another Blog, but I can’t resist making a statement here. This isn’t about chess, but it illustrates an important point it would help us all to remember. On a certain chess forum, a fellow asked a leading question that was derogatory to the United States. Without getting into specifics he made reference to certain unsavory events early in North American history…events that happened before there was a United States.

I simply pointed out to him that it was his ancestors who perpetrated these events because the US did not even exist in those days. His reply was, “We prefer to think of them as a bunch of unwanted rejects who committed treason rather than pay the taxes they owed. That puts your lot just barely above the French but still somewhere below the Spaniards.”

There is a lot wrong with his comments but I didn’t answer because I didn’t want to argue with him and I understand ignorance never lost an argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment