Random Posts

Friday, February 7, 2014

Sicilian Wing Gambit Deferred

     I’ve been playing a lot online lately and am bored playing the Sicilian over and over, so gave the Wing Gambit a try. It worked OK, but for the most part I wasn’t satisfied with the positions I was getting so switched to the Wing Gambit Deferred: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.b4
     I don’t know any theory on it or even if there is any theory, but so far it’s been working out well and I like the positions I’ve been getting, but to be honest, I think that’s a testimony to the poor play of my opponents rather than the gambit itself. Against stronger opponents I don’t think it’s going to work. 
     In this game my 1600-rated opponent played the opening quite well, but his position suddenly collapsed when he overlooked my surprising 18th move. It was one of those moves I only noticed at the last moment and when I took a quick look at it, it was apparent that I couldn’t calculate the consequences, but played it anyway because of déjà vu.


No comments:

Post a Comment